Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Voluspa & Package Design



On to another passion of mine - package design. I have posted about this a few times in the past, but not as often as I in fact observe it in the world and appreciate it. Ask anyone who knows me, and they will tell you I buy things based on how they are packaged. One year my good friend bought me make-up by Fresh, not because I wear it (because I never wear make-up), but because she knew I would love the box and the design of the eye-shadow case.

And to show this is not a new passion. Two moments in my past that sum up my odd appreciation for package design:

At age 3 I demanded to keep the empty cereal boxes after we ate up our Frosted Flakes, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Musli. The rare Fruit Loops box or Apple Jacks box were my prize winners. This continued until I was 6. Yes...3 years. I collected multiples ;)

At age 15, after seeing my growing bottle collection (of mostly legal, under 21 beverages) and my walls plastered with every Absolute Vodka ad I could get my hands on - my parents bought me a bottle of Absolut Vodka for Christmas, with the condition that I 'pour it out after opening.' Needless to say what happened with that present...but the packaging was the real gift...with the box having a painting of an absolut bottle wrapped in paper that was so realistic it looked like a photo. For the life of me I could not scrounge up an image of the packaging online. I'll have to snap one when I get home...and post later.

Well, this was a very long intro to tee up the beautiful packaging of the Volupsa line of candles. They are a west coast company, based out of Lake Forest, California - but their designs call on an older era of 1920's glamor and mystique. I love the scent and love their designs. The big 3 wick candle tins are the best!










No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin